4/17/11

Thanks Brian!



My friend Brian passed along his old Cardinals jersey along to me today. (Now I call him my great friend Brian) As a Cub fan I know this seems like a conflict of interest, but I'm more of a fan of baseball history than I am of the Cubs.

There are several Cardinals I like. My favorite Stl. player is Bob Gibson. He was a right-handed pitcher who played his entire 17-year Major League Baseball career with St. Louis Cardinals (1959–1975). A nine-time All-Star selection, Gibson accumulated 3,117 strikeouts during his career, won two Cy Young Awards, was named the National League's Most Valuable Player (MVP) in 1968, and was a member of two World Series championship teams. He was elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1981, his first year of eligibility.

Gibson became known for his fierce competitive nature and the intimidation factor he used against opposing batters. (He liked the brush back and the bean ball!) Gibson was the starting pitcher in nine World Series games during his career, in which he recorded eight complete games and seven wins. Gibson also set a World Series record by posting 17 strikeouts during Game 1 of the 1968 World Series.

Thanks for the Jersey Brian! Feel free to ask for it back at any time. I regret every jersey I ever lost or sold.

No comments:

Post a Comment