7/1/11

Allen-Morrison Sign Co.




I just found out some great news on one of my vintage signs. A while ago I posted a photo of a Pittsburgh Paints flange sign. Upon some research tonight, I found out about the location of the sign manufacturer, and that the sign is porcelain not metal!

Allen-Morrison Sign Co. was located in Lynchburg, VA. The Co. is no longer around, however, they are credited with producing approx 80% of the signs country wide, (Porcelain signs, 40s and 50s) until China came into the picture.

Starting in the early 1900s, the 16.9-acre site was home to the Thornhill Wagon Company, one of the largest manufacturers of farm wagons in the east. Later it became the Allen-Morrison Corporation, which produced the ubiquitous metal Coca-Cola signs. The building was torn down in the late 70s. Here are some photos of the old building:




8 comments:

  1. We should talk sometime, my great grandfather started Allen-Morrison. There are a few things above that are not accurate. Just trying to help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would love to know more, the only info I could find was online. Was just doing research on a porcelain sign of mine. Let me know what you have for info. Thanks!

      Delete
    2. Could you tell us more about the company and what the A-M and 1-57 means?

      Delete
    3. A-M means Allen-Morrison and 1-57 means it was made in January 1957

      Delete
  2. I'm not the writer of this story, but I am a sign collector/buyer/seller and would like to correspond and learn more info regarding the AM company.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have an old B.F. Goodrich sign that is stamped A-M Sign Co Lynchburg Va.. 4-47 I have been told the 4-47 is the date of manufacture Apr, 1947. Would anyone know anything about this sign,. I can send a picture if need be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here is a great example of one of their signs created for the Pine State Creamery Co. of Raleigh, NC. You have to click through the pictures but one of them is a close up of exactly what the previous commenter describes. A-M Sign Co Lynchburg Va.. and the date. ttp://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-pine-state-dairy-milk-ice-140473221

    ReplyDelete